HITTING THE E-BOOKS: THE BEST AND WORST DIGITAL READING APPS

We're all well aware at this point that children's lives revolve around technology. Computer games, coding, you name it - they know how to do it. It's amazing honestly - until you realize that you're a teacher and these kids want nothing to do with hitting the books. 

So, what even ever happened to those paper books? 

I don't know about anyone else, but I loved a good paper book in my hands and I still do prefer that over a digital read. Kids on the other hand? Not so much. I've found the only time I can get a child to sit down and read a paper book is when I'm reading to them. So how do I get children to read independently when they just want to sit on their iPads and computers all day, you ask?

One (hyphenated) word.... E-BOOKS. 

E-Books are the new black - forget pink, orange, and paperback books. It's all the goodness of a paperback book wrapped up behind a screen. What's fun about E-books is that many are easily accessed through apps and websites that are available on multiple devices and platforms. This makes it super easy for children to read anywhere - at home, in the car, and at school. Best part, I guarantee that "I forgot my book" will never be an excuse again because we all know that kids go nowhere without their tech.

So let's talk E-Books and Reading Apps

When it comes to E-Books, I've used some for myself on a personal enjoyment level, but my absolute favorite for kids is Epic! If you haven't heard of it, definitely check out getepic.com. Best part? It's FREE for educators. Your kids can read for free between 7am-4pm and then enjoy 2 hours of additional reading time per week, after hours. Parents also have the option to purchase a subscription to Epic! outside of this. Epic! features books for kids 12 and under, perfect for Elementary level educators. I love Epic! because it's the titles children (and I) love. Epic! also has a feature for books to be read to kids and audiobooks, which is perfect for struggling readers and ELL students. One of the other cool things about Epic! is that it's available as a website and as an app, which means it's perfect for reading anywhere. 

Other cool reading sites/apps to check out:

  • Amazon Kids+
  • ReadingIQ
  • Kids A-Z
  • Highlights Library Reading
  • Little Critter Library

Many Public Libraries also offer E-Book downloads. You are able to get so many a month as long as you have a library card. What a great incentive to get a library card, but also a cool perk! There is an app for my local library - but I think it's something cool to look into for your city's public library. 

When it comes to Reading Apps, I'm not talking about the apps that allow you to read books - I'm talking about the apps that teach children HOW to read. Yes you read that right. 

Some apps worth checking out that can help children learn how to read are: 
  • Duolingo ABC
  • Hooked on Phonics Learning
  • Blending Board
  • Lingokids

Some other useful apps worth checking out are:

  • Speak It! - This app is useful for kids who can't read on their own, as the app allows for text to speech translation. 
  • Dragon Dictation - This app is the opposite of Speak It! as it types out words that children speak. This is so helpful for students who need to write something down - or search for something online even - that don't know how to type or spell. 
I wholeheartedly believe that technology should be incorporated into the classroom wherever and whenever possible. Especially with reading. Reading comes off as such a chore to some kids and if I can get a kid reading or listening to a book on their computer, phones or tablets then by golly I'm going to do it. Whatever gets a kid into a story is "the move".

Comments

Popular Posts